SeeS Song of the Week

CT HIP HOP BLOG - SONG OF THE WEEK - "GET UP AND RUN" - SEES MUSIC

Friday, April 27, 2012

When Hip Hop Was Positive: Slick Rick "Hey Young World"

Slick Rick "Hey Young World"

Listening to the radio today it's not hard for one to believe that the newer generation is in disbelief that is was ever "cool" and "mainstream" for rappers to speak about positive values, uplift their communities, and be good role-models.

When I speak to kids younger then myself I often hear that its "corny" and "played out" to be respectful of others in ones lyrics and portray a message that isn't about sex, guns, violence, or money. I just want to remind those who are too young to remember that there was once a time when doing the right thing wasn't only the right things to do but was popular and even played on mainstream radio.

This first example I am going to give is one of my all time favorite songs! Slick Rick "Hey Young World" from 1988! If you are unfamiliar with who Slick Rick is then don't say you know one thing about hip hop.

I will continue to give examples of "When Hip Hop Was Positive"!

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Official CT Hip Hop Blog!!! Thanks for your support Connecticut! Stay tuned for more information on "The Conn-viction Tapes"!